- Suspect: Simeon Atcitty
- Victim: Unnamed man, age unknown
- Date of incident: June 19, 2020
- Charges: Second-degree murder
- Status: Pending
- Sentence: n/a
- Investigating Agency: Unknown
- Incident Location: Unknown, San Juan County
- County: San Juan
- Prosecuting agency: U.S. Attorney’s Office
- Prosecutor: Nicholas Marshall
- Arraignment/release judge: John Robbenhaar
- Defense attorney: Stephen Taylor
- Magistrate case number: None (direct indictment)
- Federal district case: 20-cr-01696
On June 19, 2020, in San Juan County, Simeon Atcitty allegedly killed an unnamed man, according to prosecutors. On Sept. 8, 2020, a federal grand jury indicted him on a single charge of second-degree murder. According to the indictment, Atcitty killed the unnamed man with malice aforethought.
Atcitty does not appear to have been previously charged in a lower court with the killing. No other details of the incident are contained in court documents. If a federal search warrant was issued, it appears to still be sealed, based on a review of federal search warrants from that time period.
On Sept. 23, 2020, FBI Agent Lance Roundy arrested Atcitty on the warrant, after it was received on Sept. 12, 2020. On Sept. 29, 2020, federal Magistrate Judge John Robbenhaar ordered Atcitty held without bail during a virtual hearing. The judge’s reasoning is not contained in the minutes.
The case was continued on Oct. 8, 2020, and a trial date was reset for Feb. 1, 2021. No new court dates have been set.
Do you have information about this case? NM Homicide needs your assistance to tell the stories of homicide victims. Please fill out this form.
- Indiana man arraigned for death of woman near Gallup in hit-and-run crash - April 30, 2021
- Tavor Tom sentenced to 15 years for stabbing aunt to death - April 24, 2021
- Roswell man held without bail after fiery DWI crash kills two Dexter sisters - April 17, 2021