• Judge Amanda Sanchez Villalobos sentenced Anthony Faustine on a probation violation she previously released him on
• Faustine allegedly fled from police while drunk and crashed, killing Timothy Chino, two days after Villalobos released him on an absconder warrant
GRANTS, N.M. — An Acoma man will serve the remainder of his state sentence for drunk driving while he is held pending trial on a federal charge of second-degree murder that happened two days after a state judge released him on an absconder warrant.
District Judge Amanda Sanchez Villalobos sentenced Anthony Faustine, 40, on Sept. 1, to 417 days after he admitted to violating his probation in the his 2016 DWI 3rd offense and fleeing an officer case. She also ordered him discharged from probation.
Faustine is in federal custody after a federal grand jury indicted him on June 8, 2020, on charges of second-degree murder and assault resulting in serious bodily injury for the crash on April 22, 2020 that, according to tribal court documents, allegedly killed Timothy Chino and severely injured Katrina Juanico.
Villalobos released Faustine, being held on an absconder warrant, on April 20, 2020, two days before he allegedly crashed a car while drunk, killing Chino. He was allegedly fleeing from tribal police officers when he crashed, according to tribal court documents.
He was initially arrested on April 9, 2020 on a bench warrant issued on Dec. 13, 2018, after he failed to appear for a hearing on the absconder allegations already filed against him, as well as a motion to revoke his probation, before Villalobos released him.
On Oct. 7, 2016, Faustine pleaded guilty to aggravated fleeing an officer, DWI third offense and driving on a license revoked for DWI, for an incident on Jan. 14, 2016, according to court documents.
The plea deal, signed by prosecutor Brandon Vigil, gave Faustine a suspended sentence minus the mandatory 97 days he had to serve on the DUI charge. The plea was approved by District Judge Pedro Rael.
The original file in the magistrate case appears has been destroyed.
- Suspect: Anthony Faustine
- Victim: Timothy Chino
- Non-fatal victim: Katrina Juanico
- Charges: Second-degree murder, assault resulting in serious bodily injury
- Incident type: DWI crash following a police chase
- Date of incident: April 22, 2020
- Status: Pending
- Investigating Agency: Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Prosecutor: Nicholas Marshall
- Prosecuting agency: U.S. Attorney’s Office
- Location: Cottonwood Trail, near the border of Laguna and Acoma pueblos, Cibola County
- Federal magistrate case number: None
- Federal district case number: 20-cr-01365
- Probation state case number: D-1333-CR-2016-00041
- Other judge: Amanda Sanchez Villalobos